Eoghan Phelan Presentation
The Shopper Evolution and the Mind of The Shopper
In order to understand shopper behaviour, and how to effectively engage shoppers across retail channels, new and old, it’s important to understand how human evolution has influenced our day-to-day lives and how we shop.
Our brain’s evolution has led to it operating in two vastly different modes as we go about our day-to-day lives. These modes were popularised by the Nobel prize-winning psychologist, Daniel Kahneman, as System 1 and System 2. System 1 processing is fast, unconscious, automatic, irrational and often unreliable. It is within System 1 that we find heuristics and biases such as rules of thumb, stereotypes and associations. System 2, on the other hand, is slower, conscious, effortful, rational processing. While we may think that we engage in System 2 processing most of the time, cognitive neuroscientists have estimated that only about 5-10% of our cognitive activities are conscious, with the remaining 90%+ unconscious.
There are many ways in which cognitive biases caused by our System 1 processing is open to influence when shopping, including:
Framing – How people react to a particular choice, depending on how it is presented or framed.
Anchoring – Where initial exposure to some information, often a number, serves as a reference point and influences subsequent judgements.
Priming – The psychological effect caused by the exposure to a stimulus that influences your response to a subsequent stimulus.
How we Shop
Shoppers spend much of their time scanning the environment with their peripheral vision, often at great speed. This behaviour creates many challenges when communicating to shoppers. Humans are not adept at reading with our peripheral vision, so messages must be clear and succinct. Imagery can often be more powerful than words and can be better at drawing shoppers’ attention. We are not hardwired to think in words and humans have been communicating in imagery for much longer.
What’s relevant to our interests, or our task at hand, will grab our attention. This means it’s important to understand shopper missions and decision trees to engage shoppers effectively. Shoppers are looking for solutions to get the job done, and quite often they are overwhelmed by a ‘wall of noise’ at the moment of choice
Effectively Engaging Shoppers
V360° have identified 4 key barriers or triggers, the 4 E’s, that most shopper challenges fall into.
EASE – Help me find what I’m looking for
ECONOMIC – Assure me that I’m getting the best deal
ENTICE – Inspire me to choose the best solution for my needs
EXPERIENCE – Take the chore out of shopping.
It’s important to consider shoppers’ mindset at each touchpoint on their decision journey and activate accordingly to best overcome these barriers or leverage these triggers, up to and including the moment of choice.
V360° follow three key principles to ensure effective creative execution at the moment of choice:
STOP – See Me
ENGAGE – Notice Me
LAND – Buy Me
There are many ways in which each of these principles can be activated with the most effective shopper creative activating all three principles. To discuss the STOP ENGAGE LAND principles further, feel free to get in touch with the team at V360°.